This versatile cupcake recipe can be altered to make three different flavoured cupcakes.
250g salted butter, at room temperature
300g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 large eggs, at room temperature
270g self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius for conventional ovens or 160 if you have a fan-forced oven.
- Line 2 x 12-hole muffin tins with cupcake wrappers. Cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla together until light and fluffy – about 8-10 minutes.
- Gradually add the eggs one at a time and beat well in between each addition.
- Sift over the flour and add the milk gradually and beat again.
- Fill the cupcake wrappers ⅔ full and bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely.
To make the different flavours:
Chocolate cupcakes: swop out 4 tbsp cake flour with 2 tbsp cocoa powder
Funfetti: add 3 tbsp funfetti sprinkles to the batter
Coffee: dissolve 2 tbsp instant coffee into 2 tbsp hot water and allow to cool