Better known as Ermine, roux or flour buttercream, this delicious frosting is made using a cooked pudding mixture which adds creaminess, reduces the sugar content and is a great budget-saving way of bulking up frosting, too!
Makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes
35g cake flour
100g white sugar
Pinch of fine salt
225g unsalted butter
½ tsp vanilla essence
- Whisk the flour, sugar, salt and milk together in a saucepan.
- Place over low heat and cook while whisking until thick and bubbling.
- Remove from the heat, place in a bowl, cover the surface of the pudding with cling wrap and allow it to cool.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter until very light and creamy using a beater fitted with a whisk attachment. Add the pudding a tablespoon at a time until incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat well.
- Place into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.