The secret to making perfect cupcakes in an air fryer is to use silicone or foil cupcake cases. The strong airflow in the air fryer can otherwise cause your cupcakes to distort so don’t be tempted to skip this step.
125g salted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract or essence
120g (250ml) caster sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
200g (375ml) cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Silicone or foil cupcake cases
- Place the butter, vanilla, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and milk in a bowl and use electric whisks to beat on low speed until combined.
- Increase the speed to high and beat the mixture until it is just smooth.
- Place the cupcake wrappers in the silicone or foil cupcake cases.
- Use an ice cream scoop and scoop the mixture into cupcake wrappers so they’re ⅔ full.
- Place 4-5 cupcakes in the air fryer and heat to 130° C.
- Bake the cupcakes for 10 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 12 cupcakes.